When I started this blog I swore I would never talk about religion or politics but today I will because Aussie politics is a little more interesting than usual.
The Federal elections were held on the weekend and it is so close that neither of the big 2 parties can declare a win, so we could have a hung parliament, though most are now saying that the Liberals who are currently in power may be able to hang in there with a minority government. They are going to need the support of the independents to do that. Interesting because some of the independents are nut jobs (I'm looking at you Ms Hanson).
Regardless of who gets in I doubt Australia will move forward in any direction because the Senate look to be controlled by a bunch of Independents who are going to stop every bill going through.
OMG You should have seen the election sheet for the Senate, it was about 3 foot long. I'm not joking, it really was about 3 foot long. The old lady next to me just kept saying, Oh my! and Where do I start? What it looked like to me was a whole bunch of lobby groups trying to get into the Senate. What a joke! Unless you had read up about the parties beforehand this would have been beyond confusing and I expect a large number of people would have either voted informal or donkey.
So that's it. If Liberal gets in I hope their desire to throw money at big business and banks and their desire to further reduce bulk billing of Medicare items is kept in check. If Labor gets in I hope their usual need to spend money with gay abandon is kept in check. I hope the Greens get more of a say in looking after our environment. I hope we do not waste another cent (or $165 million) on this plebicide rubbish about gay marriage. Just grow up, be brave and vote it in through parliament like the rest of the world has done.
And now that I have typed this I can safely say I am totally sick of thinking about politics.
I get it's boring for you and you're not keen on it, but I wouldn't mind reading about politics every now and then.
ReplyDeleteOk Phil, I'll keep you updated. It looks like it might take weeks to sort out.
Delete